colliers
Risca Industrial History Museum
Crosskeys and Pontywaun Photo Archive
Industrial History in South Wales
Search the site here

Risca Industrial History Museum Photo Archive
...currently consists of around 1500 photos mainly covers from Rogerstone to Abercarn, though there are some interesting photos from elsewhere.
All the photos have been digitised but there are a few hundred slides to be processed eventually as these are more difficult to scan.
This is 'work-in-progress' so there may be minimal captions and coverage at the moment but other areas will be added in due course.

Click on the button to go to :-

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge a photo or map and sometimes read more about it. Then click 'Full Size' on the toolbar to see it in all its glory.

Our photographic archive is held at the museum and you are welcome to browse it on any Saturday between 10.00am and 12.30am.
Digital copies are also available on request in return for a small donation,
or drop us a line at info (at) riscamuseum (dot) org (dot) uk


Crosskeys

Quick links to :-     Crosskeys     North Risca Colliery     Pontywaun


North Risca Blackvein Colliery

Quick links to :-     Crosskeys     North Risca Colliery     Pontywaun

The sinking of the 'New Pits' or 'Risca New Colliery', better known as 'North Risca Black Vein Colliery', began in 1875 by the 'London ansd South Wales Colliery Co Ltd' and the first coal was wound in 1878 from the original Black Vein seams. This colliery was just as dangerous as the original Blackvein Colliery at Waunfawr and in 1880 another 120 colliers were killed in a gas explosion. The company became part of the 'United National Collieries Ltd' in 1892, amalgamating with the 'Ocean Coal Co Ltd' in 1944 before nationalisation in 1947. The colliery closed in 1967 and the site is now the North Blackvein Industrial Estate where a few of the colliery buildings remain. There are also scant remains of tramway inclines to the quarries above the site. The most obvious memorial to the colliery are the tips on top of Machen Mountain.

The explosion of 1880

On Thursday 15th July 1880 a gas explosion ripped through North Risca Blackvein Colliery in tragic parallel to the disaster at the Old Blackvein Colliery twenty years earlier. On this occasion 120 men and boys were killed.

1875 -1898

In these photos 'Ty Prince' farm is clearly visible to the West of the colliery and the Eastern quarry is at work. This quarry supplied stone for both the colliery and the village of North Risca (Crosskeys) down two inclines either side of Mount Pleasant or Craig-yr-haul farm. The last photo shows a third incline running towards what became the Western quarry. The Cornish engine house is prominent.

1898 - c1901

The colliery has expanded and 'Ty Prince' is hidden behind other buildings and the upcast shaft has low headgear.

c1901 - c1930

The colliery has reached Wattsville and is at its greatest extent. The coke ovens have been built and the upcast shaft has new, taller headgear. Later the roof of the Cornish engine house is removed, followed by the engine house itself.

c1930 - c1960

The two winding house chimneys have been demolished but a new conveyor and tower have been built by the coke ovens. The aerial ropeway up to the mountain-top tip was built between 1938 and 1948.

c1960 - 1970s

It looks as if the coliery has now closed and is getting increasing derelict.

1976

Some of the colliery buildings are still used by light industry and commercial companies.


Pontywaun

Quick links to :-     Crosskeys     North Risca Colliery     Pontywaun


© All rights reserved - OHIHS 2004-2018